• Optical Glass: Made of High Definition premium optics glass with 16 Layers of multicoating
• Layers of Coating: Waterproof, Dustproof, Scratchproof, Oilproof helps in reducing glares & anti-reflective
• Frame: CNC construction applied with Freewell GimabalSafe Technology to ensure no negative effect on the camera gimbal
• What's in the package: Variable ND 2-5 f-stops & 6-9 f-stops compatible with Hero8 Black
• Installation: Magnetic Quick Swap System for easily changing the filters (Comes with a magnetic bracket)
Availability: In Stock
At Freewell we always listen to our buyer feedback thinking of ways to make their day to day shoot convenient, quick & easy for this reason we have made the industry-first Variable ND Filters for action camera compatible with Hero8 Black, This hard stop Variable ND reduces the chance of cross-polarization & vignette suited for quick & easy solution to avoid changing filters on the field.
Q. What is the best-recommended setting to shoot with VND?
A. Expose your shot to have a proper motion blur. Adjust the white balance to your liking thinking about the color grading you will be doing. Film in flat profile (Dlog) for a better color grading. If your drone/Action Camera/Gimbal allows you to change the sharpness and contrast of the image you can tweak those to your liking too.
Q: Is variable ND also a polarizer filter?
A: Although variable ND is made of 2pcs polarizer filter they do not provide or help to reduce polarization as once you have 2 pieces of glass they act as reducing the light coming to your sensor.
Q. Can I take Panorama with Variable ND?
A. No, you cannot take panorama pictures with variable ND or with any hybrid filter which has 2 pieces of glass such as CPL, ND/PL reason being polarizer filter acts in a very specific way to the angle of the light, change the angle by a few degrees and you can get a dramatically different polarizing effect.
Q. Is variable ND suitable for pictures?
A. In most cases YES you can use variable ND even for pictures however you may have some tint which can be corrected in post, Variable ND is best suited for video when you are on the field to avoid changing the filters by simply turning the filter to set your need.
2-5 Stop which also represents ND2 to ND32 is a perfect filter for a normal day condition covering your needs from cloudy days to a normal sunny day to create a motion blur.
6-9 Stop which also represents ND64 to ND512 is an ideal solution for working during a bright sunny day covering your need for mid-afternoon